Firefly Flights to Singapore Temporarily Halted, Await Regulatory Green‑Light
Malaysian carrier Firefly has announced that all its services to Singapore will be on pause starting 1 Dec 2023. That date also marks the day the airline was supposed to shift its operations from Changi to Seletar Airport.
What’s the Back‑yard of This Decision?
In a terse notice on its website, Firefly said it will pick up the jet‑sling again once the various Singaporean and Malaysian authorities sort out the paperwork surrounding the move to Seletar. While the airline didn’t delve into the nitty‑gritty details, a local news outlet reports that it’s chatting with the Civil Aviation Authority of Malaysia about the delay.
Key take‑away: Flights to Singapore are suspended until the last regulatory hurdles are cleared.
Why the Shift?
Firefly is slated to operate from a brand‑new US$80 million passenger terminal at Seletar Airport, officially opened just last week (Nov 19). That facility is geared for scheduled commercial flights and business aviation—think chartered jets and private flights.
Changi Airport Group (CAG) confirmed that all turboprop operations at Changi will move to the new Seletar terminal on 1 Dec. In fact, Seletar is set to become Singapore’s sole hub for scheduled turboprop flights from that day onward.
Firefly’s Current Footprint
- Only Malaysian carrier serving turboprops at Changi.
- Offers 20 daily flights to destinations such as Subang, Ipoh, and Kuantan.
- New Seletar terminal covers 10,000 sq m and is designed for up to 700,000 passengers per year.
Passenger Impact and FBI‑style Rescues
In its announcement, Firefly assured travellers that it is “making arrangements” for those affected, apologising for any inconvenience. The airline stressed that passengers who’ve booked flights will see no surprise cost hikes—just possible rebooking or refunds until operations resume.
“We’re still working through some internal and CAG‑related issues,” a Firefly spokesman told the press. “Once we have the green light, we’ll jet back on schedule.”
In Short
- Firefly suspends Singapore flights on 1 Dec to move to Seletar.
- Operations to resume once regulatory sign‑offs are secured.
- Passengers will be helped with rebooking and refunds as needed.
Keep an eye on the news—once the authorities give the thumbs‑up, the roar of turboprops at Seletar will be back on Sunday!
