Peng Shuai Confirms She Is Safe in Video Call With Olympic Official, China News Reports

Peng Shuai Confirms She Is Safe in Video Call With Olympic Official, China News Reports

Peng Shuai’s Check‑In: A Calm Video Call With the IOC, Minus the Drama

In a surprising twist that feels more like a polite email than a high‑stakes international saga, Chinese tennis superstar Peng Shuai hopped on a 30‑minute video chat with Thomas Bach, the President of the International Olympic Committee, on Sunday, Nov 21. According to the IOC, Peng told the world that she’s safe and well—at least for now.

What the IOC Report Says

  • Peng opened the call by thanking the IOC for its concern.
  • She added, “I’m safe and well, living at my home in Beijing, but I’d like my privacy respected at this time.”
  • She’s preferring to spend time with friends and family but will keep playing tennis, the game she loves.

The Back‑Ground (Because Background is a Big Word for “It’s Hard to Get Information”)

Peng’s video call comes after a swirl of anxiety that started when she publicly alleged that a senior Chinese official had sexually assaulted her earlier this month. With her public appearances going dark for nearly three weeks, diplomats and fans alike have wanted confirmation that she’s indeed okay.

In the meantime, photos and a 25‑second clip released by the state‑owned Global Times showed Peng smiling and wave‑ing at kids during a junior tennis tournament. While the footage felt wholesome, groups like the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) said it was “insufficient” proof of her safety.

Voices From the West (And Here Comes the #WhereIsPengShuai Hotspot)

France’s foreign minister, Jean‑Yves Le Drian, urged Chinese authorities to provide more reassurance and hinted that the situation might trigger “unspecified diplomatic consequences.”

Meanwhile, the United States and UK also begged for solid evidence of Peng’s whereabouts. Legends like Naomi Osaka, Serena Williams, and Billie Jean King added their voices to a social‑media #WhereIsPengShuai movement.

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic added his two cents: “It would be strange to host tournaments in China unless this whole ‘horrific’ situation is resolved.”

Some Other Intrigue (A Restaurant, a Runway, and an Email from the People’s Daily)

Sunday’s media also brought up a clip from CGTN claiming to show an email by Peng denying the assault. The WTA chairman, Steve Simon, was skeptical, saying “he had a hard time believing that Peng herself had written the email.”

On the evening of Saturday, the restaurant manager of a popular downtown Beijing spot confirmed that Peng and seven others had dined in a private room. According to the manager Zhou Hongmei, they seemed to be “just chatting and enjoying noodles and bamboo shoots.”

What’s Next (Because We’re Not Done Yet)

In the wake of the IOC’s reassurances, the International Tennis Federation (ITF) pledged to keep lobbying for confirmation from Peng that she’s truly safe. Meanwhile, the WTA keeps threatening to pull tournaments out of China if the “horrific” allegations remain unaddressed.

And as the world’s eyes lock onto Beijing’s upcoming Winter Olympics, the tension over Peng’s safety mirrors broader calls to boycott the Games over China’s human rights record.

In short, the saga continues—though at this juncture, with a video call and a sun‑lit tennis photo, the vibe feels a little less menacing.