Struck on the Run: Strasbourg’s Chaser Crushed in Final Shootout
In a pulse‑pounding finale, the suspected gunman who took three lives in Strasbourg’s Christmas market was finally taken down after a two‑day cat‑and‑mouse chase. Police say the 29‑year‑old, Cherif Chekatt, was shot dead in a short gunfight right outside the city’s Neudorf/Meinau neighborhood.
The 48‑Hour Road to the Deadliest Shootout
- Chekatt carried out the attack on Tuesday in the same area he later faced down.
- He evaded capture for roughly 48 hours, slipping through the city like a rogue shadow.
- Authorities launched a major operation late on Thursday at around 9 pm local time (4 am Singapore time).
Police Report the Final Confrontation
The interior ministry’s Christophe Castaner told reporters that officers spotted a man who matched Chekatt’s description and moved to arrest him. “He fired first, but we returned fire and ended up killing him,” the minister recounted.
Strasbourg’s mayor, Roland Ries, described the scene, saying:
“I think it will help to get back to a life that I would describe as normal,” he told journalists. “With the death of this terrorist… citizens like me are relieved,” he added.
The Heat‑Up at the Scene
Reporters on site heard the sound of three to four gunshots echoing as armed units, backed by a hovering helicopter, rolled in. The moment that finally wrapped up the city‑wide hunt.
In the weeks to come, Strasbourg is poised to return to its festive rhythms, a bit gentler now that the threat has been neutralized.

Strasbourg Shooting: The Manhunt That Followed
On December 12, 2018, the French Police released a poster in French, English, Italian and German, begging witnesses to come forward. The picture showed a man—Cherif Chekatt—whose background was linked to theft and violence in several European prisons. Authorities revealed that he had become radicalized while behind bars.
What Happened After the Attack
- Three people were killed on Tuesday’s shooting at Strasbourg’s Christmas market.
- During Thursday’s sweep of the city’s eastern districts, police searched for Chekatt and inspected German border checkpoints.
- Three more people were still in critical condition when the police announced that the suspect had been shot dead.
The Wanted Poster
Chekatt was the prime suspect, and his name was featured on a multilingual wanted list. He’d spent years incarcerated in France, Germany, and Switzerland for theft and violent conduct. Over time, officials say he adopted extremist religious views while incarcerated.
How Chekatt Was Found
Late on Thursday, masked officers moved into three major Strasbourg neighbourhoods, including the area around where the attacker had been last seen. They shot Chekatt near one of those spots.
The Attack’s Voice
Witnesses report that Chekatt shouted “Allahu Akbar” as he opened fire, citing a desire to avenge his brothers in Syria. A taxi driver told investigators that Chekatt claimed he carried out the attack as retaliation for those brothers.
Local Reactions
Neighbors from a nearby housing estate described Chekatt as “just a regular guy” in jeans and trainers, nothing like typical Islamic garb. One community leader mentioned that he saw Chekatt as a small-time gangster with no overt signs of radicalism.
Security Measures
The French government elevated its threat level to the maximum. Over 700 officers, plus German police, secured the Europe Bridge and set up checkpoints on both sides of the Rhine. Traffic was temporarily halted due to the increased security presence.
Market and Memorials
The historic Strasbourg Christmas market reopened on Friday, with visitors returning to the main Kleber square to place candles and pay tribute to the victims.
Looking Back
Since March 2012, France has seen a series of Islamist‑related attacks. Since 2015, more than 240 people have lost their lives in various incidents, the latest being in May. The Strasbourg shooting added another tragic chapter to this ongoing saga.
